Date of establishment of COOMET is 12 June 1991.
COOMET is a joint forum of metrologists of Euro-Asian region, effectively working regional metrology organization which successfully fulfils its tasks according to approved long term programmes. Cooperation within COOMET and its outcomes allow its member countries to succeed in meeting metrological challenges, faced by a national economy in the globalized market, which is necessary to facilitate and accelerate the international exchange of goods and services.
Our regional organization is open for any metrological institutions from other regions to join as associate members.
History of COOMET: see on coomet.org, section ABOUT COOMET > History
Currently the members of COOMET are metrology institutions of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, China*, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Bulgaria, Georgia, Germany, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Cuba*, Moldova, Russia, Slovakia, Tajikistan, Türkiye* and Uzbekistan.
The objectives of COOMET are as follows:
- To contribute to effectively solving the issues of ensuring the uniformity of measurements, raising the level of metrology development of the countries in the Euro-Asian region and other stakeholders; support and expansion of an integrated measurement infrastructure for the countries in the Euro-Asian region and other interested countries that makes it possible for every National Metrology Institute to promote innovation, competitiveness, trade, consumer safety, sustainability and ensuring international recognition.
- To function as a forum for cooperation in the field of scientific and legal metrology.
The official languages for the COOMET meetings and documents are Russian and English.
CООМЕТ has no financial assets of its own.
By its scope of cooperation COOMET belongs to organizations of a multi-purpose type.
COOMET is a member of the Joint Committee of the Regional Metrology Organizations and the BIPM (JCRB), as well as keeps close relations with OIML according to the Agreement with the International Bureau of Legal Metrology (BIML) signed in 1993.
COOMET activities scope
The basic activity of COOMET is cooperation in the following areas:
- measurement standards of physical quantities;
- legal metrology;
- quality management systems;
- information and training;
- prospective research areas.
COOMET countries cooperate in the following subject fields:
General questions concerning measurements (general metrology); Acoustics, ultrasound, vibration; Electricity and magnetism; Flow measurement; Length and angle; Mass and related quantities; Photometry and radiometry; Physical chemistry; Ionizing radiation and radioactivity; Thermometry and thermal physics; Time and frequency; Reference materials; Legal metrology; Quality management systems; Information and information technology; Training and raising proficiency level of experts; prospective research areas.