26th meeting of TC 1.12 "Reference Materials":
24-25 August 2021 (сombined format: Krasnoyarsk, Russia and online).
18th meeting of TC 1.4 "Flow Measurement":
1 September 2021 (сombined format: VNIIR- branch of VNIIM and online).
Director of TÜBİTAK UME: Dr. Mustafa Çetintaş
Address: TÜBİTAK Gebze Yerleskesi Baris Mah., Dr. Zeki Acar Cad. No. 1, 41470
Gebze Kocaeli, Turkey
Telephone: +90 262 679 5000
Fax: +90 262 679 5001
TÜBİTAK Ulusal Metroloji Enstitüsü (TÜBİTAK UME), as the National Metrology Institute of Turkey, is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of national measurement standards as well as research and development activities in scientific metrology in Turkey.
TÜBİTAK UME is a research and development institute that operates under the umbrella of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK), which is an affiliated institution of the Ministry of Industry and Technology.
The institute aims to ensure the reliability of all measurements conducted in Turkey, to make provisions for the integration of these measurements into the international system and to develop existing and new measurement technologies, thereby establishing the national measurement system required for ensuring the accuracy of measurements used in commercial and industrial settings and which contributes to equity in national and international trade, increases in the quality of Turkish industrial products and enhances Turkey’s scientific and technological development.
The main activities of TÜBİTAK UME can be summarized as follows:
- to establish and maintain national measurements standards in accordance with the SI Units.
- to ensure the traceability of national measurement standards to international standards and to disseminate traceability nationally through the provision of calibration services
- to support the other elements of the national measurement system through the provision of training, consultancy services, publications and other mechanisms and the organization of interlaboratory comparisons and proficiency testing programmes.
- to produce and distribute certified reference materials to ensure the traceability of chemical measurements in Turkey.
- to contribute to research and development in the areas of measurement techniques, calibration and measurement technologies at the international level.
- to represent Turkey at an international level in the field of metrology and to cooperate with international organizations and other national metrology institutes in order to fulfill the requirements of the Metre Convention and the CIPM Mutual Recognition Arrangement (CIPM MRA).
Under the terms of the CIPM Mutual Recognition Arrangement, TÜBİTAK UME has designated the Turkish Atomic Energy Authority (TAEK) to carry out the responsibility for establishing measurement standards and scientific metrology activities in the area of Ionizing Radiation. The designation of TAEK was made in 2007. Structural reorganisation related to the status of TAEK occurred in 2020. The new legal entity named Turkish Energy, Nuclear and Mineral Research Agency (TENMAK) tied to the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources, related to energy, nuclear energy, ionizing radiation and mineral sources like boron and rare earth elements was established by the decree of the President of Turkish Republic (Decree 57 dated 28 March 2020). TAEK renamed as Nuclear Energy Research Institute (NÜKEN) operates under the auspices of TENMAK and inherits all responsibilities of former TAEK.
Similarly, the Marmara Research Center, Materials Institute - Underwater Acoustics Laboratory (MRC MI-UAL) has been designated in the area of underwater acoustics in 2012.