27th online meeting of COOMET Presidential Council
The 27th meeting of COOMET Presidential Council was held online on 10-11 March 2021. All members of Presidential Council, as well as the Chair of the COOMET Joint Committee for Measurement Standards and representatives of national COOMET secretariats in Germany, Russia and Ukraine traditionally took part in the meeting.
The following main outcomes of the meeting should be noted:
- the draft amendments to the COOMET Rules of procedure were adopted (amendments are proposed in terms of establishing the possibility of holding COOMET events online and a more detailed procedure for voting on agenda items; the possibility and algorithm for making decisions on behalf of COOMET Committee based on the results of electronic voting; refinement of the procedure for works on COOMET projects and approaches to drawing up and submission of the annual reports of COOMET structural bodies (CSBs); the draft will be sent to COOMET Committee members for review in the nearest future.
- the proposals were adopted on the appropriateness of starting a COOMET project, devoted to the development of a COOMET concept for digitalization in metrology (discussion of the need for establishment of a Joint Working Group or another COOMET structural body will continue within Presidential Council); the Chairs of all CSBs were encouraged to arrange the consideration of the issues of digitalization in metrology, relevant for the assigned fields of cooperation at their meetings in 2021.
- the results of the online survey conducted among the participants of cooperation to assess the satisfaction with the work of COOMET Presidential Council, were reviewed, and a questionnaire for the survey to assess the effectiveness of work of CSBs, prepared by COOMET Secretariat was discussed and adopted (the online surveys of COOMET Committee members and members of CSBs will be held from May to October 2021).
- the COOMET criteria for member countries to be classified as countries and economies with emerging metrology systems (CEEMS) and approaches to the involvement of CEEMS in the activities of CSBs were discussed.
- the proposal of COOMET President, Mr. Valery Hurevich, to introduce the position of the Vice-President, coordinating the issues of cooperation of COOMET member countries classified as CEEMS, was adopted.
- preliminary recommendations for CSBs on the development of their Work Programs, aimed at implementation of strategic tasks and mission of COOMET, and today's metrological tasks, were discussed.
- the preliminary results of the survey among COOMET NMIs on the implementation of task F “Organization of innovative scientific research in the field of metrology” of the COOMET Strategy for 2020-2025 were discussed; the survey will continue in April-May 2021.
- the draft Recommendation “Temporary rules and procedure for peer reviews of quality management systems of National metrology institutes/Designated institutes (QMS of NMIs/DIs) during the COVID-19 pandemic” was adopted, which will be submitted to COOMET Committee for approval.
- the draft Regulations for the COOMET Quality Forum and the updated COOMET Document D5.13 "Regulations for the COOMET Technical Committee "Information and Training" (TC4)" were adopted.
- the draft COOMET Program P4/2021 "Work Program of TC4 "Information and Training" for 2021-2023" and the updated Plan for training activities of COOMET for 2021 were adopted.
- the issues of creation of a single information resource of COOMET and the results of the WG-Web’s activities on the whole were discussed.
- the Schedule of updates of COOMET publications for 2021-2024 was adopted.
- the issues of enhancing cooperation with regional metrology organizations were discussed.
- it was agreed that the preparation of the Regulations for COOMET Presidential Council would be appropriate.
The issues about the activities of COOMET structural bodies were traditionally considered at the meeting, inter alia in terms of implementation of the CIPM MRA (review of CMCs, comparisons of national measurement standards, peer reviews of quality management systems of COOMET NMIs and DIs (first of all, the results of the remote peer reviews of the QMS of the Russian and Kazakhstan NMIs), information and training. Presidential Council members addressed the issues of appointing or extending the terms of office of the Chairs of some Technical Committees and Subcommittees (the final approval of all candidates will take place at the COOMET Committee meeting).
In view of the situation with the Covid-19 pandemic it was decided to hold the 31st COOMET Committee meeting and seminar “30 years to COOMET” online using Zoom platform on the previously agreed dates: 15 -17 June 2021. The meeting will be held in the form of two sessions: on 15 June 2021 a Working session only for Committee members or their official representatives will take place; on 16-17 June 2021 a Plenary session involving other invited participants is planned. The issues concerning the preparation of the anniversary booklet and the thematic issue of the journal “Measurement Techniques” were also discussed.
Holding of the next COOMET Presidential Council meeting is scheduled for November 2021 (47th week).