Comparison of measurement standards (comparison): Establishing a relationship between measurement results when reproducing and transmitting a unit of measure or a measurement scale with these standards.There are:
- Key comparison: One of the set of comparisons selected by a Consultative Committee to test the principal techniques and methods of measurement in the field.
- CIPM key comparison is a key comparison executed in the framework of a
Consultative Committee or by the BIPM. A CIPM key comparison leads to a key comparison reference value.
- RMO key comparison is a key comparison executed in the framework of a regional
metrology organization. COOMET key comparison: A key comparison of national measurement standards organized by the NMI’s of COOMET.
- Supplementary comparison is a comparison, usually carried out by an RMO to meet specific needs not covered by key comparisons (e.g. regional needs), for instance measurements of specific artefacts, or measurements of parameters not within the “normal” scope of the Consultative Committees. Supplementary comparisons of COOMET: Comparisons of national measurement standards, organized by the COOMET NMI’s that are executed alongside with the key comparisons.
- COOMET pilot comparison: A comparison of the NMI national measurement standards, organized by NMI COOMET and executed before a COOMET key comparison with the purpose of preliminary estimation of possible deviations of measurement results in the COOMET key comparison.
All key and supplementary comparisons are registered and their results are published in the KCDB Appendix B . Key and supplementary comparisons are normally considered as a sufficient support for calibration and measurement capabilities (CMCs).
CIPM-MRA-G-11: Measurement comparisons in the CIPM MRA: Guidelines for organizing, participating and reporting
COOMET R/GM/11:2021 Recommendation: Regulations for Comparison of Measurement Standards of COOMET National Metrology Institutes and Designated Institutes
CООМЕТ R/GM/12:2021 Recommendation: Rules of Maintaining of the COOMET Program of Comparisons
CООМЕТ R/GM/14:2016 Recommendation: Guidelines for Data Evaluation of COOMET Key Comparisons
CООМЕТ R/GM/19:2016 Recommendation: Guideline on COOMET supplementary comparison evaluation