24-25.11.2021: 28th online meeting of the COOMET Presidential Council
The 28th meeting of the COOMET Presidential Council was held online on 24 to 25 November 2021. All members of the Presidential Council, the Chair of the COOMET Joint Committee for Measurement Standards, representatives of the COOMET national secretariats in Germany, Kazakhstan, Russia and Ukraine and invited persons took part in the meeting.
The following main outcomes of the meeting should be noted:
- The appropriateness of establishment of Task Groups within COOMET (by decision of the COOMET Presidential Council) was endorsed; the COOMET Secretariat shall prepare proposals on refining document COOMET D1/2021 "COOMET Memorandum of Understanding" to introduce this provision.
- Preliminary results of the activities of the Working Group for project 825/RU-a/21 for the preparation of a draft COOMET Concept on digital transformation in metrology were considered.
- The appropriateness of reactivation of TC 5 "Innovative Research in Metrology" under the leadership of the COOMET Vice-President Mr.E.Lazarenko (Russia) was discussed; in 2022 a draft Concept of innovative COOMET research will be discussed within TC5 and assessment of possible funding sources and requirements of internal/external donors will be arranged.
- The results of the survey among NMIs of COOMET member countries under project 812/RU/20 were reviewed and discussed; the proposals from countries will be taken into account in planning COOMET training activities, as well as in drawing up a COOMET Plan for preparation of model calibration procedures for various groups of measuring instruments and a future Work Program of TC 1.1 "General Metrology" (in terms of elaboration of general issues of ensuring metrological traceability in the field of medicine, biology, veterinary medicine etc.).
- The results of the online surveys to assess the effectiveness of COOMET structural bodies (CSBs) were discussed; the results will be further sent to CSB Chairs and COOMET Committee members. It was agreed to further discuss indicators to assess the performance of CSBs (KPI) within the Presidential Council.
- The proposals of TC 1.7 "Photometry and Radiometry" and TC 1.8 "Physical Chemistry" on the establishment of a number of subcommittees within the TCs were endorsed.
- Plans for the organization of cooperation with CEEMS within COOMET were agreed.
- Preliminary proposals on the division of management functions and actions between the COOMET Committee and COOMET Presidential Council were discussed.
- Use of the BIPM platform for organization of COOMET training events under the conditions determined by the BIPM was approved (the proposal was made by a staff member of the BIPM International Liaison and Communication Department C.Kuanbaev); it was decided to assign a coordinator to ensure the operation of the COOMET page on the BIPM training platform and to discuss the issues of preparation of materials for the COOMET page in the 1st quarter of 2022.
- The implementation of the schedule of updates of COOMET publications for 2021-2024 was considered.
- A draft recommendation "Expression of expanded measurement uncertainty (kurtosis method)", a draft information material "Training systems for metrologists in COOMET member countries", a draft of the updated COOMET document D4 "COOMET publications. Classification, procedure for development, approval, registration and update" and updated Regulations on JCMS, TC 1.3, TC 1.8, TC 2 were endorsed and will be submitted to the COOMET Committee for approval.
- The issues of creating a single information resource of COOMET and the results of activities of the WG-Web in general were discussed.
- The issues of enhancing cooperation with regional metrology organizations were discussed.
The issues of the implementation of the CIPM MRA were traditionally considered during the meeting, inter alia in terms of:
- conduct of comparisons of national standards in 2021 (including the results of the monitoring of comparisons lasting over 5 years). The COOMET President approved and signed the COOMET Program of Comparisons for 2022 (as of 25.11.2021);
- peer reviews of the QMS of COOMET NMIs/DIs (including the results of the peer reviews of the QMS of BelGIM (Belarus), NSC "Institute of Metrology" and SE "Ukrmetrteststandart" (Ukraine) and plans for conducting peer reviews of the QMS of DP NDI "Systema" (Ukraine) and KazStandard (Kazakhstan);
- preparation of a draft COOMET recommendation establishing special requirements (criteria) to NMIs and DIs in addition to ISO/IEC 17025:2017 etc.;
- holding of training events for COOMET technical experts on CMC review (in view of the new database KCDB 2.0) and on peer review of the QMS of COOMET NMIs/DIs.
Presidential Council members discussed the issues of appointing and extending the terms of office of the Chairs of a number of technical committees and subcommittees (final approval of all candidatures will take place at the COOMET Committee meeting in 2022) and reviewed the applications for giving the distinguished title "Honorary Metrologist of COOMET".
The issues of preparation for the 33rd COOMET Committee meeting and a COOMET seminar on digital transformation in metrology (7 to 9 June 2020) were also discussed.
The next COOMET Presidential Council meeting is scheduled to be held online in the last week of March 2022.