20th meeting of TC 1.9 "Ionizing Radiation and Radioactivity": 12 December, Online
25.10.2022: 33rd online COOMET Committee meeting (Working Session)
The Working Session of the 33rd COOMET Committee meeting was held on 25 October 2022, at which COOMET Committee members or their official representatives from 11 countries (Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, China, Cuba, Moldova, Russia, Slovakia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan) took part.
Based on the discussion of events to improve the work of COOMET the following resolutions and actions were adopted:
- updated documents COOMET D1/2022 "COOMET Memorandum of Understanding" (changes relate to the possibility of establishing task groups and refinement of objectives, tasks and fields of cooperation) and COOMET D4/2022 "COOMET publications. Classification, procedure for development, approval, registration and update" were approved;
- by the decision of the Committee the activities of the Working Group for Preparation of the COOMET Development Strategy were suspended;
- establishment of a COOMET Task Group on the issues of digital transformation in metrology (Chair - A.Pankov, Russia), a COOMET Task Group on CEEMS support (Chair - COOMET Vice-President Z.Begaydarov, Kazakhstan), a Task Group on the Issues of Making Amendments to the Fundamental COOMET Documents (Chair - COOMET Vice-President E.Lazarenko, Russia) was endorsed; information about the activities of the task groups will be presented at the COOMET Committee meeting in 2023;
- the organizational structure of COOMET was updated (subcommittees were established within TC 1.7 "Photometry and Radiometry" and TC 1.8 "Physical Chemistry");
- the decision was approved to reactivate TC 5 “Innovative research in metrology” under the chairmanship of the COOMET Vice-President E.Lazarenko, Russia; preparation and discussion of a draft concept of innovative COOMET research with TC 5 members will shortly be organized, along with assessment of possible funding sources and requirements of internal/external donors (in view of the requirements of the COOMET Development Program for 2022-2025).
The meeting participants discussed possible options to enhance cooperation without changing the organizational and legal form of COOMET. The idea of giving the status of an "international conference" to official COOMET events (meetings of the COOMET Committee, COOMET structural bodies (JCMS, TC, Quality Forum)) in the future was in general endorsed, so that countries' participants could pay a registration fee to the account of the economic entity that acts as a host (reimbursement of the organizer's costs). The COOMET Presidential Council was requested to continue discussion and elaboration of this issue in 2023, inter alia, in terms of agreeing the amount and need for fee gradation, as well as the level of approval of these decisions (COOMET Committee or Presidential Council). The proposals will be presented at the COOMET Committee meeting in 2024.
The terms of office of the current Chairs of TC 1.7 "Photometry and Radiometry", TC 1.11 "Time and Frequency" were extended. New Chairs of TC 1.4 "Flow Measurement" (Roman Korneev, VNIIR-branch of VNIIM, Russia), TC 1.5 "Length and Angle" (Konstantin Chekirda, VNIIM, Russia), TC 1.10 "Thermometry and Thermal Physics" (Petr Krivonos, BelGIM, Belarus) and a number of subcommittees within TC 1.7 and TC 1.8 were appointed for the period until October 2026.
In view of the notice from the Ministry of Economy on suspension of participation of Ukraine in COOMET structural bodies, Acting Chairs of TC 1.2 "Acoustics, Ultrasound, Vibration", TC 1.6 "Mass and Related Quantities", TC 2 "Legal Metrology", TC 4 "Information and Training" were appointed, who were requested to organize the TCs meetings and to hold the elections of new Chairs in accordance with document COOMET D5/2021.
An updated list of COOMET auditors on peer reviews of QMS of COOMET NMIs/DIs was approved (new auditor - Kseniya Kashirina (VNIIOFI, Russia), as well as a new membership of the COOMET Appeal Board on comparisons of national measurement standards and CMC data review.
The following specialists of the organizations of COOMET member countries were given the distinguished title "Honorary Metrologist of COOMET" for their considerable personal contribution to the work and activities of COOMET: Elchin Abbasov (Azerbaijan); Thomas Ahbe (Germany); Karlygash Sattybayeva (Kazakhstan); Ekaterina Kotova (Kyrgyzstan); Stella Straistari (Moldova); Aleksandr Katkov (Russia); Gennadiy Narodnitskiy (Ukraine).