President: Prof. Dr. Cornelia Denz
Vice-President: Dr. Frank Härtig
Member of Presidential Board: Dr. Jörn Stenger
Address: Bundesallee 100, 38116 Braunschweig, Germany
Telephone: +49 531 592 0
Fax: +49 531 592 9292
The institution responsible for measurement standards and scientific metrology in Germany is the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB).
It is the National Metrology Institute providing scientific and technical services.
PTB’s responsibilities are to achieve progress and ensure reliability in the field of metrology for the benefit of society, economy and science with research, measurement and consulting being its main activities.
Areas of PTB’s work are:
- realization, reproduction and dissemination of the SI units;
- development of national measurement standards;
- determination of fundamental constants and exploitation of quantum effects for realizing the units;
- provision of traceable reference materials and determination of material properties;
- development of accurate and reliable measurement procedures;
- contribution to standardization and technology transfer by consulting and seminars;
- pattern evaluations, conformity assessment and consulting;
- metrology in commercial transactions, environmental, labor and radiation protection, medicine and safety engineering;
- cooperation in European and international metrology organizations as well as with metrology institutes around the world;
- technical cooperation with countries with emerging economies