(in view of the revised Law of Georgia “Product Safety and Free Movement Code” (the Law as amended of 15.07.2020 No. 6157-Iს)
Summary information in PDF format is available here.
Information updated as of 23.11.2020.
The Metrology Institute is a structural unit of the Georgian National Agency for Standards and Metrology (GEOSTM). GEOSTM represents a legal entity of public law independently performing its activities in the field of Metrology and Standards in accordance with the law of Georgia “Product Safety and Free Movement Code”, and the Decree of the Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia of 26 July 2012, approving the Statute of GEOSTM. GEOSTM carries out its activities following Georgian legislation, international agreements and contracts, the Code, which include chapters on “Standardization”, “Ensuring uniformity of measurements”, “Conformity Assessment of Products and Services” etc. in accordance with its own Statute. GEOSTM is under umbrella of the Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia (MoESD), is accountable to MoESD and state control over GEOSTM is implemented by MoESD.
The main functions of the Metrology Institute of GEOSTM are as follows:
- Maintenance of existing national measurements standards, equipment of high accuracy and reference measuring equipment, organization and performance of activities related to their operation;
- Realization of measurement units by means of measurement standards and reference measuring equipment, dissemination of units in Georgia in order to provide uniformity of measurements on the country’s territory;
- Organization and performance of activities related to the development of measurement standard base;
- Carrying out of calibration and verification works of measuring instruments;
- Carrying out of type approval, recognition of approved types, registration and approval of initial verification results of legal measuring instruments;
- Maintenance of the National Register of national measurement standards, provision of support and update thereof;
- Maintenance of the National Register of types of legal measuring instruments, provision of support and update thereof;
- Carrying out of official measurements in cases of disputes raised regarding the measurement results of legal measuring instruments;
- Representation of Georgia’s interests in the field of metrology at the international and regional level;
- Development of a normative base to improve the sphere of uniformity of measurement in accordance with the legislation in force;
- Establishment and maintenance of business (contractual) relations with international/regional organizations and legal, physical and other entities, information exchange, organization and participation in scientific and practical conferences, seminars within the country and outside it;
- Provision of metrological services to the interested parties within the framework of the Institute’s competence;
- Maintenance of NSs (national standards), organization of comparisons of NSs with international measurement standards or with NSs of foreign states, provision of verification and (or) calibration of NSs;
- Participation in the work of international and regional organizations on metrology.
The units of the International System of Units (SI) are applied in Georgia.
The scope of LM is provided in the Code, Article 80. Legal measuring instruments are measuring instruments established by part 2 of article 80, used for the purposes of the Tax Code of Georgia, Customs Code of Georgia and/or forensic examination, the measurement results of which are also used when imposing administrative fines determined by the legislation of Georgia.
1. Legal and technical requirements for type approval
1.1 Requirements for type approval (TA) are set in the Law of Georgia “Product Safety and Free Movement Code” according to articles 82, 83.
1.2 MIs, intended to be used in measurements in the field of LM and given in the List of MIs (see chapter "Verification" item 3 "RVIs for 12 categories of MIs"), shall be subject to type approval of MIs.
1.3 Type approval of MIs shall be carried out based on positive results of tests or metrological examination for type approval.
2. GEOSTM, responsible for type approval
GEOSTM makes decisions (regulations) on the type approval of MIs and issuance of certificates of MI type approval.
3. GEOSTM, responsible for testing for type approval
Testing for type approval of MIs shall be performed by GEOSTM in very exceptive cases where technical capacity allows otherwise recognition of a test result or type approval.
4. Recognition of OIML certificates
Georgia is a correspondent OIML member.
1. Legal and technical requirements for initial and periodic verification
Requirements for verification arrangements are set in the Law of Georgia “Product Safety and Free Movement Code” according to article 84.
1.1 In type approval of MIs the compliance of the time interval between state verifications with the interval given in article 80 of the Code (see item 3 "RVIs for 12 categories of MIs") shall be determined, and the procedure for verification of MIs of the type being approved shall be adopted.
1.2 Verification shall be carried out before putting into operation in LM field.
1.3 Either certificate or documents on non-compliance will be issued based on the verification result.
2. Bodies for verification
State verification shall be performed by GEOSTM or other respectively accredited bodies.
3. RVIs for 12 categories of MIs
3.1 Currently the general list of categories of MIs and RVIs is given in the Law of Georgia “Product Safety and Free Movement Code, article 80.
3.2 In Georgia the following RVIs are currently valid for the following 12 categories of MIs:
|1.alcometers used in the analysis of alcohol in exhaled air||6 months|
|2. water flow meters:|
|- cold water||6 years|
|- hot water||4 years|
|- cold and hot water||4 years|
|3. automatic scales||18 months|
|4. non-automatic scales and weights used in connection with them for weighing||18 months|
|5. flow measuring devices used for liquids other then water||1 year|
|6. flow measurement devices - for dosing and counting mechanisms of dispensers at gas filling stations, used in relation to gases||1 year|
|7. gas meters:|
|- maximum flow rates Qmax ≤ 10m3/h||10 years|
|- maximum flow rates Qmax> 10m3/h||4 years|
|8. leveling devices for liquids in vessels (cistern, pool etc.)||2 years|
|9. noise (sound) level meters||18 months|
|10. speed meters||1 year|
|11. electricity meters||12 years|
|12. devices that determine the light transmission of glass||1 year|